Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I Found a Lump

     I don't know the easiest way to share my feelings right now and a blog seems so impersonal- and quite frankly, it feels a bit uncomfortable to write about. But, I am just going to give the details and answer questions as they come. 
     Two weeks ago I discovered a lump on my breast that is about the size of a large marble. I went to the doctor last week to have it "checked out." The doctor was hoping that it was a cyst and tried to drain it.... unfortunately it was not cystic and had no fluid. 
     So- I am having surgery on March 3rd to have it removed. I am nervous and anxious about surgery, but am calm and relaxed about the way I feel about the outcome. As I've talked to friends and family the first concern I hear from others is Breast Cancer. Luckily, there is no history of cancer in my family, I am only 32, and I show no other symptoms of cancer. The doctor who I visited with the second time also put my fears at ease by letting me know that he has seen nearly 1000 breast lumps like mine, and only 2 have resulted in cancer (and the two that did have cancer were treated and cleared). 
     I have blood tests currently "in the works", and results will be back from those soon. After the surgery a biopsy will be done and then (hopefully) all fears will be put to rest. The recovery after surgery should be fairly quick- a few days of "rest" and then just a week or two of some tenderness. 
    Thank you to those of you who have given me so much support and encouragement this week. My family and friends have been amazing and I can't believe I am so blessed. 





9 comments:

  1. I'll be praying for you Kym! It sounds like there is an excellent chance of a good outcome. I hope surgery and recovery goes well too. You will definitely be in my thoughts the next few weeks. Thanks for sharing something so personal - I have learned if you don't share your trials with your friends, how do they know to pray for you? Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck, Kym! I had a lump removed almost 10 years ago and it turned out to be a fibroid. The surgery itself wasn't fun... they used a mammogram to locate the needle before surgery, as in, smoosh me, look at the image, mark location, go back and look at image again... and told me "don't worry, your breast will go numb after 1 minute in the mammogram anyway..." I know I probably shouldn't say anything but at least now you are prepared for the worst! and hopefully science has improved in 10 years.

    BUT! The pain meds after were awesome! I had "permission" to conk out for a day or two after.

    Seriously, there will be many prayers sent your way that it turns out to be nothing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kym! Maybe this isn't the best post to comment on how excited I was to see you had a blog, but, nontheless, I am.

    I'll be thinking of you and praying that everything runs smooth in this process (the lump...not the blog), however NOT FUN it may be. You've got so many people rooting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kym--I'm sorry about the stress you're going through. Even though the chances are it's nothing serious, it still has to be stressful. You're in our prayers. My best advice, milk the attention! Tell people that frozen yogurt would really make it feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with Callie--I am so glad you are sharing what is going on so that I can be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. You are an amazing person and I am happy that you are feeling peace about the outcome. I will be praying for an easy surgery and a quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm praying for you! Ya, thanks for posting! Otherwise I never would have known! Let us know how it goes! You're always such a positive person, how could the results NOT be positive?!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kym, I went through the same thing at 32. My lump was benign and I haven't had a problem since. I had a needle biopsy done and still have the lump as a nice reminder. I know the anxiety and "what if" can drive you crazy but remember those Mann genes are pretty good, a little nutty (or should I say "lumpy") but pretty good! I'll keep you in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kim, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know we love you and will be happy to bring you frozen yogurt anytime. Just text me and it will be there in minutes. OK perhaps more like thirty minutes but still there.

    ReplyDelete