Sunday, March 6, 2011

A Camper I am NOT


Kami (Larsen) Webster, me, and Heidi (Erikson) Arave

I live in Idaho- I see no reason to have to camp. Growing up here I only went camping once a year- that was during Young Womens Girls Camp. It was always a great experience, but I never really LOVED camping. As an adult I would rather sleep in my own bed than on the ground, I would rather order take-out than cook over a campfire, and I would rather take a warm bath than be cold and dirty.

Eleven years ago while living in Utah I was asked to be the ward camp director- that was in February 2000. I was willing to serve, but was not looking forward to camping. As soon as the bishop left the house I told Kirk that we had to get pregnant (it was the only way to avoid camping). My plan worked, and Avery was born 3 weeks early in October 2000. I still organized all the camp events, made the banners, wrote the skit, did the all the pre-certifications with the Young Womens, and planned the food.... I just didn't have to camp!

So, you can imagine my surprise when this year I was called again to serve as the Young Women's Camp Director- I am not prepared for another baby, so I willingly accepted the calling. I am actually very excited about this calling and am looking forward to serving with the Young Women in our ward (Burton 2nd ward has the most AMAZING girls and INCREDIBLE leaders). Of course, before I said yes to the calling I asked two questions:
1. Where do we sleep? GOOD NEWS- this year our stake has cabins!!!!!
2. What is our budget? When they told me the budget, I told them it was a good place to start.

If anybody has some great Young Women's camp ideas (blogs, websites, etc...) please send them along. I really don't know where to start and I eagerly looking for help!

4 comments:

  1. Wow - to avoid camping by trying to have a child you're gonna have to care for for the rest of your life?........you must REALLY hate camping! lol
    Good luck this year. I know you'll do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kymberly--who knew you had a blog I was supposed to be up on? Happy Day:) I really think you should consider the same out option as last time regarding camp. You know you like the whole pregnancy thing anyhow and you and Kirk make great parents. But, I promised I wouldn't tell anyone ever again how to plan their families...your personal decision and adventure. I'm glad surgery went well and I will chat with you tomorrow. You're the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm surprised it took them this long to call you. You always come up with the funnest things! Wish I were a Burton 2nd YW.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So do you camp as a stake or ward? In our stake the Camp Directors are just in charge of collecting paperwork, and some certification stuff.

    ReplyDelete