Friday, March 4, 2011

The lump has been removed

Twenty-four hours ago I had a lump in my breast. Now I do not! I wonder if I lost weight? It was bigger than the doctor anticipated that it would be..... almost the size of a golf ball.

The worse part of the entire day was when the nurse tried to locate a vein for the IV. I have terrible veins and with my already heightened nerves I was a basket case. She tried two times and both veins collapsed. Another doctor came in and tried twice and then found one that worked. After that I was asleep. My last thoughts as I was being wheeled back into the surgery room was realizing the husband of a friend of mine was the anesthesiologist and I was a bit embarrassed that I was going to be all exposed to him.

After being woken up (what seemed like 10 seconds later) all I did was ask questions. Here's the list of the questions I asked at least 10 times each:
*Am I naked? Because I feel naked.
*What time is it? I was pretty good at asking this every 5 minutes on the dot.
*Who is picking up Mitchell from pre-school?
*Did Avery get a sack lunch brought to her? She has a field trip today.
*Did somebody get a present for the B-day party Avery is going to after school?
*Who's in the room with me?
*Is the surgery really over?
*Do I need to get dressed?
*Can I take this IV out of my arm, or can somebody else do it for me?
*Did anybody call for me?
*Do I have any emails?
*Can I eat something now?
*I really can't shower for two days?
*Can I see the lump that was removed?
Kirk thought it was funny that I could get through my list of questions in about 2 minutes and then I would start over again. So he recorded it.... maybe someday I'll post it on youtube- it was pretty funny.

I was home by mid afternoon and spent the rest of the day in bed. I should have been sleeping but a friend  had brought me a great book I had been waiting to read (Room by Emma Donaghue). So I stayed awake and finished. I am still on lortab so the pain is manageable. My sister came home from NYC to take care of me- she's been amazing. She took the kids to The Craze, Sammy's, the movies, and then to my parents for a sleep-over. My mom has also been here and spent the night. I have been extremely blessed with great friends and neighbors, I'll post more about all that later.

For Valentine's Day I had bought Kirk a ticket to the Jazz Game- my friend Angela Rydalch bought one for her husband Russell so they were able to spend their Valentine's surprise together. I take full responsibility for scheduling things on the same day- BUT last time I had surgery (tonsillectomy March 24, 2005)- I got pregnant. I wasn't taking any chances this time! So, Kirk left late afternoon and went to SLC for the game.

The most fascinating thing to me was the way that the tumor looked when I was able to see it. Somehow I imagined that it was be a small, round, gray looking thing- like a marble. Instead it looked like a piece of orange chicken! I took a picture of it- maybe I'll post it later.

The results of the biopsy will be in on Monday. I'm confident that it will be fine!

3 comments:

  1. You crack me up. :) I wonder what it is about anesthesia that makes us loopy. When I went under, I kept asking if I could take my shoes off. For some reason, that was incredibly important to me. lol.
    Glad you're feeling okay. And glad you have family to take care of you. Seriously, when they go home, if you need to, send your kids over. They're always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And, as your visiting teacher, should I bring you some orange chicken to commemorate the occasion? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rofl! Oh, Kym. You just made my day. Please post pictures and recording. I don't want to make this about me but.....

    ReplyDelete