Sunday, January 20, 2013

Avery's L.A. Adventure- Take 1


       What started as an innocent advertisement on the radio quickly became a major shift for our family. Avery has always been an actress and dreams of being on the big screen, I think every little girl has ambitions of being famous so I never put too much stock into Avery wanting the same thing. Once she heard the radio advertisement about a national casting agency coming to Idaho falls, it was all she could think about. She started to prepare monologues, practice voice, work on dance, and became engrossed in television shows featuring kids her age. We went to Idaho falls one Saturday in May: my thought was that I didn't want to be the one to crush her dreams, surely it would be a crazy tough process and I would have been awarded mother of the year for allowing my child to believe that she can accomplish anything she desires. 

          As we arrived at the audition, everybody is filed into a large conference center. The talent agent proceeds to give direction about what they are looking for: that they want natural, energetic, smart, focused, family oriented children to work with who posses high levels of confidence. While some families and children were intimidated by this, Avery was anxious for her chance to audition. When her turn came, she did awesome. Her commercial and monologue where spot on, and she was pulled out of the group to meet with other agents. Out of nearly 400 children, she was one of 12 who continued to work throughout the summer with a union actor refining her skills, working on her resume, and getting head shots ready. Near the end of the six week course a different agent from L.A came back to Idaho. I again thought I had done my job as a parent and the plan of Avery pursuing an acting career was coming to an end. 

          The casting agent and those we were working with suggested we take Avery to La to meet with others in the industry.  We really were quite busy in our lives, but I had a few days off during Harvest break and my mom was able to get away as well. We had an incredible few days enjoying time in upland with family, going to the beach, and visiting the area and homes my mother grew up in. On our last day of vacation, we had an interview with the owner of a management company. It was lovely to meet them, and was good practice for Avery to have an interview with people who know what working in the industry is about. The management company only works with about 35 child actors at a time and has lots of knowledge and experience. Most people we talked with explained to us that we would have several interviews before we found a management company. 

         We arrived back in Idaho, and within a few days I received phone calls and contracts that the management company wanted to represent Avery and asked if we could come to Los Angeles for pilot season in January. After several weeks (months) of being in denial and assuming that it wasn't really going to happen- Avery and I are actually leaving the cold snow in Idaho and heading to sunny California. We have a six week commitment there with some classes and auditions, with a week off in the middle to come home. Part of me thinks this adventure is crazy and we should cancel everything now, while part of me welcomes the adventure and looks forward to the next few months. 
Kirk and I have been prayerful in this decision and the entire family has been involved in the process. Wyatt and Mitchell are so very supportive of Avery and are excited for her. Kirk has traveled a lot for work, and so we know how quickly three weeks can go by. We will Skype  FaceTime chat, and talk everyday and will "joint parent" as much as possible. Avery and I will be staying with family in California and will be involved in the ward there. It can also be a great boost to my HM business as I build a team in that area. 

         There are certainly things that I am  apprehensive about- including leaving Angela to run the clothing outlet by herself for six weeks, and the driving in l.a., but every time I start to get nervous and want to change my mind something else falls into place. Maybe I just have to go into this adventure with faith, knowing that gods hand is in all things and through listening to the spirit we will be blessed and protected.



12 comments:

  1. Good luck! Hope it's everything she's dreamed about. (My inner 12 year old is pretty envious. I wish I had a mom that cool.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. IT will be an great experience in many ways. Thoughts and prayers are with you and Avery! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!!! I had no idea you were doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great experience and adventure! Yeah for you for jumping right in!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool! Good luck to Avery and you!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is awesome! I can't wait to hear where all this takes her. As I read this, it brought back memories of my childhood. I was always singing and dancing and telling my mom that I wanted to be onstage. When my parents read about a production company coming to our town for auditions, their thoughts were a lot like yours, that they would take me and get it "out of my system", lol. Well, I did sign with that company and went on to be in many musical theater productions as a child. They were so supportive, and always did whatever they could to help me achieve my little dream. (Although we never had to go all the way to California !) That adventurous spirit in childhood, and parents who went right along with me and never squelched it , made me who I am today, and I just know that whatever the "professional" outcome is for your sweet girl, she is being given such a great gift in what you are doing! So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really exciting!! I know you guys will have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so excited for her ! I hope it's everything she dreams about!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck! Would love to hear how it is going. So fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So EXCITING!!!!! Congrat's and keep the prayerful focus!! He will lead you!!! Have a BALL!! Enjoy the Journey!!!
    P.S. where does she get ALL THAT CONFIDENCE!!! :)
    Also..this is Gerise (sometimes known as Mary..ha ha)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are mom of the year. I'm so excited that you have taken this opportunity. (And why are you worried about leaving me in charge? OK never mind I know why.) :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would like to meet up this time while you are here, if you have an afternoon or evening free. You will get used to the driving... just close your eyes and go! Kidding! It didn't take me long to learn it... and I was a 17 yr old kid! I'm sure Avery will be an instant hit! I will message you my cell via Facebook. I'd love you all to meet my whole family!

    ReplyDelete