Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Heritage Makers Makes a Difference

I love being a Heritage Makers consultant. It is a problem solving company. When I first began as a consultant (nearly 8 years ago) I hadn't realized that it was an answer to prayers that I hadn't even spoken. In the beginning it was about the social aspect- I loved the women who were passionate about helping others preserve and share their family stories, and I knew that it was a needed solution. I would attend events and my friendships with others would be strengthened. I didn't want to miss anything because I knew that I would leave feeling uplifted and motivated. 

After two years of being a "part-time" consultant, my family started to rely on the income that my business was producing. I knew that I had an opportunity to give myself a raise. I worked my business smarter and started to build a team of consultants that also wanted to make a difference. My income would grow every month which encouraged me to continue to work hard. As a consultant I knew that the, the principles of direct sales compensation plans don't change- if you want to make more money, you have to do the income producing activities that increase personal volume and group volume. In Heritage Makers, the income producing activities are simple: workshops, sales, sponsoring, and training. 

I have consultants in my organization who sign up strictly for their own discount, others that do it because they have a photo problem,  some that do it for the fun and social aspect of the business, and others that want to take advantage of the entire opportunity that is provided: income, social, career, relationships, and paychecks of the heart. Over the years I have evaluated "Why" I am consultant. It seems to be evolving constantly and it's hard to describe. My heart tells me that being a Heritage Makers consultant serves a purpose for my life: it allows me the freedom to be home with my children and work around their schedules, it gives me the blessing of being able to help provide financially for my family, it fulfills a need that I have to be recognized and appreciated, but the biggest reason is that I feel like I am serving a mission for God. I believe that stories are the essence of who we are and that our lives are fulfilled as we share stories and serve others. I feel compelled to be doing what I do. 

Several years ago I was serving in the Primary organization in my church and working with the small children. During one particularly difficult Heritage Makers week of failed workshops, missed calls, and forgotten appointments- I began to question my continued involvement with HM. That Sunday during church the children began learning a song that I know I needed to hear. The sweet words to the song are: "Tell me the stories of Jesus, I love to hear. Things I would ask Him to tell me, if he were here. Scenes by the wayside, tales of the sea- stories of Jesus, Tell Them To Me. Oh, let me hear how the children stood round his knee. I shall imagine his blessings resting on me; Words full of kindness, deeds full of grace, All in the love-light of Jesus' face." I was struck by the words of this song and I understood the reason for sharing stories of Jesus, reading scriptures with our children, and talking to them of God's grace is all so that we can connect and learn to love God. It is the same crusade I feel with Heritage Makers- I am passionate about helping other share stories and memories of loved family member- it helps us connect to our Heritage and helps us live better more fulfilled lives. I recently completed a Military storybook about my Papa Bill Henderson: when I was done I realized the impact it could have on generations to come. It helps my children be better citizens, serve more diligently, and love their ancestors. I have had similar experiences with other grandparent and family books. As a consultant I have been able to be an instrument to help others have the same experiences. Not only is Heritage Makers the best publisher in the industry, but the mission of vision of strengthening homes and families through the Heritage enriching power of story is a mission that I fully support. 

This year I was honored with the company Legacy Award- it is an award given to a consultant for making a difference in Heritage Makers and spreading the mission and vision. I was overwhelmed with emotion as I received my award at our annual conference and was at a lose of what to say. I am blessed to be a consultant, honored to be recognized, and most importantly: humbled to make a difference. 

I had my photo on the front cover of the opportunity magazine- August 2012

"WHY" I'm a Heritage Maker

The screen shown at HM Annual Convention that literally took my break away

Some of the amazing women in my organization who I have the honor to work with.

For more information about Heritage Makers, please visit my website: www.storybookforlife.com or contact me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment